OnePager Express, an add-in to Microsoft Excel, is the easiest way to create and maintain timelines and Gantt charts for multiple projects. If you don’t already have OnePager Express, you can download a 15-day free trial to see how it works.
- Start by collecting the information about all of your projects. You can track this in a single Excel spreadsheet, as shown below, or in multiple spreadsheets if you prefer:
If you have a large set of tasks, you can filter them before creating your report, but in this case, we'll import everything.
- Now just click on the OnePager Express button on the Microsoft Excel toolbar or Add-ins tab, and OnePager Express will do the rest. Give your portfolio report a name and type in a status/snapshot date as shown below:
- Click Next to decide which columns from your Excel spreadsheet you want to import:
- Now, click on the Create new project view button and the following graphic will appear:
In this portfolio view, each project gets its own swimlane, and the tasks for each project are color-coded separately for maximum readability.
- You can now take this project portfolio view and copy it into a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, email it to the team, or paste it into a Microsoft Word document for a customer.
That's just the beginning! Here's what else you can do:
- Use conditional formatting to quickly choose different shapes and color based on status, resource, or anything else
- Update the same report (without starting over) when your portfolio changes to quickly get an updated snapshot
- Group and sort your portfolio like a pivot chart based on any data in your portfolio (e.g. phase, customer, etc.)
- Create a standard template for other portfolios so all of your reporting is consistent